Re: Conversion from 8.4 to >9 version question

От Daniel Staal
Тема Re: Conversion from 8.4 to >9 version question
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
--As of April 17, 2013 8:21:06 AM +1000, Richard Terry is alleged to have
said:

> When I back up my work database I just use pgadmin > backup as plain text
> > take it home, rebuild it on my home machine which does run 9.1 - on the
> command line using: psql databasename -f  the-backup-filename
> This seems to work ok and my  software runs ok and I can access all my
> data
>
> Can I just do a server upgrade to the latest ubuntu version and postgres
> version and then do a similar command line import safely or is this too
> simplistic a way of looking at it? If one does do the upgrade what
> happens to the actual database itself if one doesn't explicity do
> anything?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

A similar command line import (with the export done before the upgrade)
should be fine, especially if you've tested the procedure already.

An upgrade-in-place with the same data files between major revisions (8 ->
9) is not expected to work, but I've seen it happen on occasion.  Even if
it appears to, don't trust it though; I'd clean and drop everything than
re-import just to be sure.  What happens to the database depends on what
your package manager decides, most likely.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.